Some people think that librarians are boring, that they
don’t want people to have any fun, that they practice shushing exercises in
their free time. Being a librarian can be a downer, but there are some days————
When I was at one of our Pop-Up
Library events, a woman came to the library table and said, “Do you see
that boy?”
She was pointing to a young man who was near high-school
age, and she said, “I used to bring him to storytimes at your branch!”
I felt old, because it has been a long time since I read
stories at that branch. She talked with me for a while, excited about the
library’s new services like e-books and databases. It was a pleasant chat.
After she went away, I tried to tidy up our display. There
were books to check out, information flyers about the library, and library
giveaways: stickers, pens, and bags. I also had a stack of magnetic
white-boards for note-writing on your refrigerator. One of them had some
writing on it. I almost erased it until I read the message:
“Thank
you Library”


No comments:
Post a Comment