As someone who moved to Fresno from back East, I often asked people this question: what do you like best about Fresno? And more often than not, the answer that comes back has something to do with the food. It makes perfect sense. The culinary offerings in Fresno are as diverse as the community. What better way to celebrate this than with a Community Potluck?!
The Fresno County Public Library is hosting an open Community Potluck at Reading & Beyond’s Mosqueda Community Center at 4670 E Butler Ave on Saturday, April 29th at 2:30pm. For two hours, the community is welcome to share their favorite home-cooked meals.
Let’s all gather and break bread together, sharing stories, histories and recipes!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Pre-registration is required.
- Click on the Potluck banner on the library’s homepage to fill out the form or call the Wow! office at 559-600-9699.
- An ingredients list must be provided (this is to classify the dishes to avoid allergy issues)
- Warming dishes will be provided for dishes not in a crock-pot.
- All serving tools will be provided.
- Coffee, punch and lemonade will be provided, or bring your own beverage.
- No alcohol permitted
- There will be door prizes.
- Each dish will gain you an entry for a drawing, held this coming Fall, for a personal library of 20 titles.
Everyone has a story to tell about how they or their family came to be in California.
California: The Journey is a four-part series of programs. The first program, Taste the World, is our Community Potluck, graciously sponsored by Reading & Beyond and the Friends of the Fresno County Public Library. The series is a part of California Center for the Book's Community Conversations About Immigration program.
The second part of the series is Tell Us Your Story. You can submit anything written that has something to do with where you or your family is from. Share a recipe, a narrative of your journey to California, a description of your hometown…whatever you want to share with us. These stories will then be gathered and posted on the FCPL website on the New Americans page. Stories can be posted anonymously. Submissions are being accepted now and posting will begin at the end of April.
To submit a story, please:
- send it in an email to WoWlibrary@fresnolibrary.org,
- mail it to ATTN: WoW Office, 2420 Mariposa St., Fresno, CA 93721,
- or drop it off at any Fresno County Public Library branch in an envelope addressed: ATTN WoW.
- Please include your name and a telephone number or email address (for drawing entry).
- Please make a note if you want your story to be published on our website anonymously.
- Please remember this is for all ages, so please use appropriate language
- The Library reserves the right to not publish or post entries.